Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Encouragement....

I find myself revisiting an old struggle with Encouragement! So many people around us need it and it seems like such a simple task, right?! How often have you read a post on Facebook, Twitter or read a blog post that made you think "I need to reach out to that person". However, the next thing you know it's two weeks later and you never did reach out to them. I think this happens to all of us! We are all so busy with our own struggles / lives. We often have good intentions but never follow through with them. I also think it's common that we forget that even the strongest amongst us need encouragement, too. I know I am guilty of it! I will make a note to check on someone or send them a text and never do it! Sometimes, I look at the strongest people around me and think "why are they struggling with this?". Even the strong ones have struggles and they need a word of encouragement just as much as anyone else. 

I am reminded of all this in the faith area of my life. I am blessed with a great church family. There are several members whom I see on a regular basis. They are a great inspiration to me. A handful of them have been with me through my first wedding the divorce now my second marriage. They stood by me, never judging, only supporting RJ and I through our hardest days. I am blessed to be apart of Sunday School class that challenges me weekly. Isn't that what a church family should look like? Shouldn't we be there for each other celebrating our christian life and faith together? Shouldn't we be there on the hard days, too? The days when I am tired and just want to sleep in are usually the most fulfilling days at Fellowship Baptist! 

I am also reminded of this often in the fitness area my life. I am blessed to be surrounded by several strong (physically and mentally) women and men on a daily basis. Each carry their own passion for fitness and inspiring others to get fit. The trainers I am friends with show their encouragement by doing every grueling workout alongside of us, not just watching us work our butts off. They do every Burpee, Squat, Sit Up, etc.. with us! I watch as friends take on new fitness challenges and encourage each other along the way. I watch as new & old friends begin their running journey and I try to cheer each of them on. Most of our crew is about empowering each other, not competing with each other or tearing each other down. We send texts, facebooks posts, tweets, etc... to each other to show the world we are happy for our each other! As students we send our trainers messages to celebrate their success, too. It's an ongoing cycle and it's awesome to be apart of it! Isn't this how it should be? Shouldn't we celebrate each other's accomplishments? 

I have been struggling with all this lately, really struggling. I want nothing more than to share my story with people so that they can see every struggle (big or little) brings along another chapter of their own story. 

I wish for people to share their encouragement for one another, not tear each other apart at every turn. You can be different from your neighbor without judging them and their choices. As a good friend said earlier "Sometimes all you can do is pray but remember that prayer provides changes and that's a good thing!" 

My prayer is that I encourage people around me every day whether it's at work, at church, at a race, at a training run, heck anywhere! I want to be a light.... a bright and shiny light! 

Here's a little video clip of one of my favorite songs from Sidewalk Prophets "Live Like That" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfosSggwQS0&feature=share.


That's my goal, I want to live like that! 



No comments:

Post a Comment