Monday, April 1, 2013

To Stand or Not To Stand

I have been working out off and on with Shannon Colavecchio from Badass Fitness since August of 2012. On several occasions I heard her talk about a "standing desk" at her office. I was positive this was something I would never need to consider. It seemed strange to me!

Fast forward to February 2013 when I suffered an IT band issue from overuse, trying to accomplish too much too fast. After a visit to a few message therapists in town it was suggested I try a "standing desk".. wait a minute! Yes, they suggested the very item that my own trainer / friend uses that I swore wasn't for me. 

After a quick conversation with my Dean and one of our Associate Dean's they both agreed I should try it. If it meant my leg would feel better and it would help me during the day then it was worth letting me try it. Here's a photo of my trial desk: 


Mailboxes with a new purpose :-) 

I knew after a week this was a must. I immediately felt better. I noticed I didn't get that 3pm tired feeling. I noticed that after work I had a little more energy for my afternoon workout sessions. The two gentlemen agreed to order me an official Standing Desk. I am so blessed to have a supportive boss! 

I ordered my current desk from LampsUSA. I love it! Here's a picture of my new standing desk: 

It's become a conversation piece around the office. Everyone wants to know about it! I will share the top three most common questions/comments: 

1: Why are you standing? : It was a suggestion to help me avoid muscle soreness and help my legs get a little stronger. 

2: How do you feel at the end of the day? : I feel great! At first, my legs were a little tired  but after a month I can tell a difference. 

3: I've heard about the standing desk but I am too scared to try it. : TRY IT! Get some boxes and lift that computer, after you have permission from your boss of course. It takes more than a day or two to be convinced so give it two weeks and see how you feel. My bet is you will feel great and wonder why you didn't try this sooner! 



Disclaimer: I am not a fitness expert just an enthusiast so please check with your trusted fitness expert or doctor before trying this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment