Monday, May 20, 2013

Update : 13 in 2013

In January I wrote a post about my goals for this year. One of those was to complete the 13 in 2013 challenge. At the time I had hoped to complete 13 half marathons then after an injury I realized 13 races of any sort might be more realistic. I was happy with facing the truth of the matter, I was not (am not) ready to run 13 half marathons in a year! 

Today, a co-worker asked "How many races have you completed this year?". That prompted to me look back at the calendar. I discovered I have completed 15 total races - woah, it's only May!! We are blessed with an active running community in our area. Spring season provides ample opportunity for racing. Some weekends there are multiple 5K's to choose from! 

Here's a quick look at my race calendar since January 1, 2013: 

January 5th - MRTT Winter Runnerland Virtual Half Marathon
               15th - Bradley's 15K
               19th - ZOOMA Florida Half Marathon

February 10th - Rock N Roll St Pete Half Marathon 
                  17th - 26.2 with Donna Half Marathon 

March 2nd - Thomasville Road Baptist Church 5K
             9th - Killearn Methodist Shamrock Scurry 5K
             16th - Doggie Dash 5K 
             30th - FSU's Run for Autism 5K

April 6th - Springtime Tallahassee 5K
           13th - Fallen Officer 5K
           20th - Palace Saloon 5K
           27th - Red Shoe Run 10K

May 4th - Run for Mercy 5K
         18th - Steve Ellis 5K

All of the races, even the local ones, have provided opportunity to spend time with my family and our friends. I have been able to meet a lot of new people and have really enjoyed the early Saturday mornings with everyone. 

Now, as we head into the hotter months of North Florida living, I will not be running as often. I do plan to run one race a month until I hit October. That's when the calendar picks back up again with 2 Half Marathons and a 10K already on the books! 

If you joined us on the journey to 13 in 2013, you might be surprised to see you've reached that goal or might be pretty close to it as well. I will not call this goal "complete". I have not entered all these races into the 13 in 2013 database. This is silly; however, since my original goal was only Half Marathons I'll wait so I can include my fall races, too. 

I'd love to hear from those of you that are working towards 13 in 2013. How is the challenge going for you? 

xoxoxo
Mitzi




No comments:

Post a Comment