Monday, April 8, 2013

Springtime Tallahassee

The Springtime Tallahassee event has always been one of my favorite events. It was the first parade I took Riley to when he was only 4 days old! Springtime Tallahassee represents all that is good about living here. It's typically beautiful weather, people are out enjoying downtown and people are happy! We live in a happy little town, even though it's the state capital. This year's Springtime Tallahassee might go down as the best ever (besides 2003, hehe).

We planned the "graduation" of our 12 week Run for God bible study around the Springtime Tallahassee 5K/10K annual race. We prepared our group as much we could for the big race day. We met at 7:30am for a group photo. What a great turn out we had from our group. I believe there was about 35 people there, not all pictured below.  We had some that ran the 5K and others took on the 10K challenge.

Pre Race Photo Op :-)

The race started promptly at 8:00am and off we went into downtown Tallahassee. The sun was shining and even caused a bit of a glare on my glasses. We had a good downhill portion for the first 1/2 mile or so then a nice flat surface until we turned onto Lafeyette Street. We ran past the finish line and straight uphill. I never really thought about how steep that hill is until Saturday, wow! We spent time running through a quaint little neighborhood before turning back onto Lafeyette Street with a great downhill run to the finish line! It was a much better than I expected. I didn't have a "goal" this week other than to support my friends running their first 5K's, 10K's or my friends that had set goals for this race. I was just there to have fun! I guess I was having more fun than I knew because I finished with 28:42 on the clock, 9th out of 123 and 143 out of 799 for the 5K. Others experienced the same amount of fun! We had tons of PR's for our group of experienced runners, it's always more fun when almost the whole group has great runs!

The best part of the race for me was cheering on my friends along the way. One portion of the 5K was out and back so we saw each other. I think some of the runners around  me got annoyed with all my hollering but I do not care. I have taken on my role as an encourager pretty seriously so I yelled a ton during the last 1.5 mile of that race! It made people smile, that's what matters!!

It was so great to see many smiling and happy people after the race. God truly blessed our group with an amazing day! I am so thankful for all the success that has come from the Run for God bible study. I hope that everyone will stick with it. I hope that everyone will stick with their daily routines of getting in the word and showing the world that our God is an awesome God!!

After the race we took Riley to the parade along with Aunt Kim, Megan, Crystal and Carson. We had not seen the parade in a few years due to Opening Day at the park where Riley plays baseball. We were very thankful that his game was later in the day so we could stay enjoy the beautiful day. Now that the kids are older and Megan's in college we don't get to hang out on the weekends as much so this was a special to me and Riley. We had a blast! We have more beads than one group should ever have and it was nice to just be together for a couple of hours. Best part, Riley and Carson go along, ALL DAY! They are more like brother and sister and it shows sometimes but not yesterday. I think they enjoyed being together, finally!

All in all it was a fabulous day! I am so thankful for all the blessings that came along with it! 

Here's an album full of pictures to enjoy from the race: https://plus.google.com/photos/101229110441733465648/albums/5864066695969951953?authkey=CInJheakpoPNgAE

xoxoxo
Mitzi

1 comment:

  1. It was a GLORIOUS day in so many ways! I am so thrilled for your RFG graduates and have so much admiration for how you and Allison guided them despite your busy lives!! Awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete