Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Remembering "Why I RUN" ??

Many of you may be wondering why there was no post race recap of the Run for the Treasure Half Marathon. Well to be honest that run is one I'd like to forget! I struggled through the last 7 miles of the run and have since been struggling to find motivation to continue running. I will not rehash the entire race because that is not the purpose of this post. I will just say that I have come to realize I will most likely never be considered a "fast" runner. I do not have the strongest legs but I have legs that can go 13.1 miles and that should be is enough for me! 

While I have been re-evaluating my goals and passion for our sport I was reminded that I am healthy and that is good enough!! I was reminded that there are many friends in my life who would love to be able to run with us but can't for various reasons, regardless of their pace. One friend who came to mind is, Sharon Gant. She has been a long time member of our church and the Tallahassee community. She has been apart of the "village" that has helped me raise Riley since I joined Fellowship Baptist Church in 2004. Sharon was an active member of the children's ministry when I joined FBC and for the longest time Riley would only stay in the nursery at church if "SharShar" was there to help! Sharon is lovingly called "SharShar" by all the kiddos in her life as she owns an at home daycare facility. She has helped raise many little ones, along with raising two of her own children! Ryan and Kaylyn are lucky to have such an awesome Mom! 

This past year Sharon was diagnosed with an aggressive form of Breast Cancer.  Sharon has shown her strength through her faith throughout all these months. She has been undergoing treatments and recently during her last chemo treatment she was told her tumors are pretty much gone. She also had a sore on her skin from the cancer that is almost healed which surprised her doctor! The doctor told her he had never seen a sore of that type heal the way it did! Sharon is now facing monthly check ups and a scan in November to keep an eye on the cancer. Sharon's journey has been just a little more proof that we serve an almighty God! 

Sharon posted this statement and video on her Facebook: "Knowing full well my cancer battle is not won and it will never be over, But with God's grace I feel I have won the first battle! And I am "Feelin Good!" 




Everyone is so happy that Sharon is feeling good and we have been so touched by her faithfulness during this journey that a few of us decided to honor SharShar in a special way. The team normally known as the "Badass Babes" has decided for one race to change our team name to the "Sole Sisters" and participate in the upcoming 26.2 with Donna Finish Breast Cancer Marathon. Let me be clear, we are participating in the Half Marathon version of the 26.2 with Donna! We love you Sharon but I am not ready for 26.2 miles!  The team will have four members myself, Allison C., Crystal K. and Shannon CThe idea to run in honor of Sharon came from a conversation I had with Crystal. She has participated in this race for several years; however, this year she plans to run all 13.1 miles. Knowing that her daughter spent about 8 months with Sharon when she was a tiny little thing with no hair, I mentioned the idea of dedicating the run in honor of Sharon and Crystal agreed we should do it! She is very appreciative of Sharon being apart of her "village" as well! The team name was inspired by one of our members Allison, who blogs over at Soul 2 Sole. Her family holds a special spot in their hearts for Sharon as she kept their daughter from the time she was 5 weeks old until she was almost 2 years old. Allison's blog is also based around sharing her faith through her fitness journey so I decided to borrow a portion of her blog title for the team name. 

Not only are we going to run this race, we are going to raise money for the cause!! Sole Sisters has a fundraising page set up to help us reach our goal of $4,000 before the race on February 23, 2014! To donate to the team please visit : http://donate.breastcancermarathon.com/2014Marathon/SoleSistersRunforSharSharIf you are planning to register for 26.2 with Donna please feel free to join our team. You may email me at mitzitwoods@gmail.com for the details on how to join our team! The great thing about 26.2 with Donna is that 100% of the proceeds go toward finding a cure!  













No comments:

Post a Comment